Bachelor's Degree Program
A bachelor's degree is designed to build up a broad knowledge of your subject and get first experiences of practical work. After a regular study duration of three years, you graduate with the degree Bachelor of Arts (BA). This degree qualifies you for entry to a master's degree program to study your subject in greater depth. The Degree Program consist of the following four departments.
- Public Administration
The Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration offers students a solid multidisciplinary training and a practical vocation aimed at acquiring specialized knowledge and professional competences required both for working in management in the Public Administration and for professional work in private counselling and management in relation to the activity of the different public administrations. Public Administration Department is a three-year program which was founded in 2010 in Civil Service Institute (CSI). The Department offers an interdisciplinary training program that combines theories and practices in the organization and management of the public sector as well as management of development programs and projects.
The program intends to impart knowledge and skills in the areas of public sector by offering various theoretical and practical courses on the concepts, principles, approaches of public policy formulation, implementation and evaluation; public finance management; human resource management, public service delivery; new public management; research methodology; project planning and management; leadership and conflict management; and other related subfields in public administration discipline. The BA program in Public Administration is intended primarily for those who are planning a career in the administration and management of public sector organizations and development processes including national, regional, local as well as globally.
- To develop the analytical skills of students to understand how public administration functions;
- To equip students with the required skills, knowledge and attitudinal/behavioral competencies to enable them act ethically, effectively and efficiently in the administration of public sector organizations;
- To develop the critical and analytical skills which enable students to understand policy and program formulation, implementation, budgeting, resource allocation and evaluation;
- To prepare students for mid-level professional career that involves managing and administering human, material, financial and information resources of organizations at the various levels of governments and non-governmental organizations, and other agencies;
- To train mid-level professionals who must fill the professional gaps in all tiers of Somaliland public sector.
- To provide knowledge and skills on how to run public institutions effectively and efficiently in the context of Somaliland, where the state is one of the important factors that plays major roles in socio-economic and political development.
- Development Management
The department of Development Management was established in 2010 in Civil Service Institute (CSI). Development Management is a program that trains professionals to meet the increasing need for experts in program and project management.
Development Management is a three-year program which is based on innovative, solution-oriented and practitioner-oriented program that gives students the skillset required to understand today’s key development problems, design evidence-based strategic solutions, and manage the implementation of the programs that create and sustain social good with business efficiencies and equity in mind. This program gives the student a solid theoretical background and introduces the necessary tools for dealing with the practical problems of managing development programs and projects. Development Management is an undergraduate degree that prepares students for a career in their field of study. This degree prepares graduates to lead organizations and institutions in the fields of development and public policy. Graduate programs in development management impart many practical skills to students. One primary skill is the ability to analyze and critically evaluate social and economic policy. Other skills include research, leadership, and management strategies.
Development Management can lead to careers with a variety of institutions. Graduates may find jobs as advisors, consultants, for example, working with public, private, and not-for-profit agencies. These may include banks, governments, and international bodies such as the UN or World Bank, NGO and social entrepreneurship organizations.
- To equip students with the potential to progress at CSI with the relevant knowledge, tools and managerial and leadership skills to successfully lead within complex, dynamic environment.
- To train students in giving the leadership skills in their professional area.
- To gain deeper understanding of theories and practice of management.
Department of Accounting and finance was established in 2010. This program is intended to produce qualified Accountants and Finance professionals and practitioners committed to excellence and Integrity in the field of Accounting and Finance to meet the changing needs of the society. Bachelors of degree in accounting is an undergraduate three-year degree program which is designed to impart the foundational knowledge associated with Accounting and Finance. Graduates from accounting programs might find jobs in consulting or financial firms, tax departments and public institution.
CSI accounting curriculum is inline with ACCA qualification requirements. This program assists students to get maximum exemption papers of ACCA.
- To help develop the judgmental skills necessary to apply and interpret accounting principles and concepts.
- To produce students with the knowledge to identify the source of funds, its use, and application.
- To enable students to serve as key personnel in the course of project (investment) appraisal and in other finance related duties in both macro and micro economic environments.
- To equip the student with the technique of assisting management in planning, problem solving and controlling business operations.
- To enable students familiarize with principle, concepts, procedures, of budget information, the basic approaches of presenting cost for the decision-making process.
- Urban Management
In 2011, the institute addressed the need to institutionalize its service to local governments in its strategic plan.
The Institute established department of local governance development (CLDG) in 2013.One of the primary purposes was to introduce urban management undergraduate program. This makes the institute as first and the only higher institution in Somaliland offering this field of education.
Urban management comprises human, financial, and physical resources in the urban areas for purpose of responding to ever-increasing urban issues and addressing contiguous problems.
It involves planning, development, and management of all sorts of infrastructure to keep the same pace with urbanization.
- To introduce the causes and consequence of urbanization with emphasis on eastern Africa including Somaliland.
- To Acquaint participants with the most pressing issue facing the local government as poverty, infrastructure, land conflict, corruption, solid waste, traffic-related problems
- To Equip participants with tools and machinery to respond hindering local development
- To provide knowledge, skills, and abilities drawn from best practice across the globe for effectively dealing with urban challenges.
- To promote urban governance and make vibrant transparent and accountable local government authorities.
- To produce competent urban managers who can handle technical and managerial duties of local government in an effective, efficient, and responsible manner.
- To Contribute towards the success and sustainability of the recent trends of local governance development led ministry of interior and UN Joint Programme for local Governance & Decentralized Service Delivery (UN JPLG).