Somaliland Civil Service Institute (CSI) came into existence in May 2005 through a presidential decree approved by the Council of Ministries to capacitate Somaliland civil servants and Somaliland people at large. The institute was officially opened on 19th September 2015 as a non-profit making, non-political, and public training institution owned by the State of Somaliland based on Article 90 of the Constitution of the Republic of Somaliland.
The President of the Republic of Somaliland, in carrying out his constitutional duties and having recognized the governance of the Civil Service Institute plays a pivotal role in the provision of quality education, research and innovation, diversifying community services and meeting societal needs, re-established the Civil Service Institute through the Establishing Charter No. 01/2021 as an autonomous public institution of continuous learning in the civil service to improve the performance of civil servants and reinforce the basic principles and core values of Somaliland civil service. The CSI is responsible for advancing all forms of knowledge, skills, and scholarship of Somaliland civil servants in keeping with the international standards.
The Civil Service Institute is a training and capacity development institution that builds the skills and professionalism of Somaliland civil servants. Its current focus is on the orientation and training of recruits, training for new cadres, and leadership training across all civil service institutions. It also carries out research and provides recommendations for innovation and excellence in public administration.
The Somaliland Civil Service Institute (CSI) is governed by a Board of Trustees, which is composed of:
- Chairman of Civil Service Commission (Chairperson),
- Director-General of Ministry of Science & Higher Education (Vice-Chairperson),
- Executive Director of the Civil Service Institute (Secretory)
- Director-General of Ministry Finance Development,
- Director-General of Ministry of Planning and National Development, and
- Director-General of Ministry of Interior.
On the other hand, the Executive Director of the Institute, appointed by the president of the Republic of Somaliland, leads the institute and appoints the directors of the institute’s four departments; i.e., Department of Admin and Finance, Department of 1Academics and student affairs, Department of ICT, and Department of Planning and Statistics.
Despite the fact that the institute has faced numerous challenges, such as availing capable human resources, information and communication facilities, and financial resources to optimally translate ongoing operations and plans into visible impact, considerable success has been realized thus far. Since its establishment, however, CSI has grown significantly regarding the number of civil servants trained, expansion of training programs, and partnerships with global institutions. The CSI has trained more than three thousand five hundred civil servants, and its training covered five of the six regions and almost all of the “A” grade districts and JPLG supported districts. In addition, the institute provides short-term training, long-term specialized education and tailor-made training programs. Its partners include the Civil Service Commission, Ministry of Interior, Ministry of National Planning and Coordination, Ministry of Finance, five regional capital districts, UNDP, UN-Habitat, AET, and Ethiopian Civil Service University.
Today, at a time when the value of higher education is of great essence and CSI’s impact on both the public and private sector is growing faster, CSI is committed to providing collaborative, interdisciplinary, and result-driven education that will help our civil servants successfully address the challenges ahead, now and throughout their careers, and make positive changes in Somaliland’s public service provision. Going off of CSI’s establishment charter, this strategic plan will add to, build on, and expand the several initiatives that had previously been in place. By implementing the goals and initiatives of this plan, CSI continues its legacy of becoming a center of excellence and professional development for civil servants.
The Civil Service Institute’s Strategy Plan sets clear deliverable priorities for the coming five years (2021-2026). The plan, which is aligned to the Somaliland National Development Plan Two, will further support the institute’s efforts of undertaking and discharging its responsibilities. We have, hence, written this plan to engage with and inform our stakeholders about our direction of travel. This document also gives our staff a clear set of medium-term goals to which everyone’s work contributes.
Furthermore, the added value for the Civil Service Institute’s Strategy Plan sets building blocks for the operation teams to develop annual work plans, including more detailed departmental plans and Monitoring and Evaluation frameworks.
Vision: CSI’s vision is to be a training and development institute of international standards leading to the development of a modern, world-class civil service in the Republic of Somaliland.
Mission: CSI’s mission is to deliver high-quality programs based on identified human resource needs, resulting in a cadre of civil service officers committed to deriving high-quality service in the Republic of Somaliland.
Core Values: The Civil Service Institute believes that the following values provide fundamental guidance in our strategic themes, relationship with citizens and stakeholders, and the execution of our obligations:
- Excellence: we are driven by the quest for excellence in everything we do.
- Integrity, honesty, and self-confidence: we ensure that all CSI employees serve with self-respect, diligence, and sincerity. This shall be the foundation of our customer relationships.
- Customer-oriented service delivery: in all our services, we respect the desires and aspirations of our customers. To us, a customer is a king in the service delivery process.
- Teamwork: At CSI, we enjoy a work culture based on teams and collective responsibility. This has ensured synergy and, thus, better performance.
- Practical and interactive training methods: For all the training activities that we undertake, we ensure a practical methodology that employs interactive cases reflecting blue-prints on the trainees’ respective work environments.
- Partnership: We create strategic alliances with other organizations such as government institutions, universities, and other training institutions to collaborate in service delivery and develop synergies.
- Proactive, innovative, and creative: we undertake to take the environment head-on with creative programs that reflect our vision.
- Professionalism, cleanliness, and discipline: We ensure a healthy work environment through measures and disciplines.
- Efficiency and Effectiveness: It takes resources to translate plans into concrete actions. We ensure that while implementing this strategic plan, we shall ensure optimum use of human, material, time, and financial resources.
- Transparency and accountability: We must ensure that it is done in the most open and participatory manner possible in everything that we do. We equally act in the most responsible way in all our dealings with stakeholders and customers.
- Equity, justice, and fairness: All CSI activities are based on the principle of equal attention and service to all customers. We ensure that every client is treated in a just manner and that he/she extracts the maximum benefit from the relationship.
- Gender sensitivity: CSI ensures no gender bias is involved in any of its capacity development programs.
Mandate and Functions of the Institute
The Civil Service Institute is mandated to develop the skills and knowledge of an independent civil service prepared to provide mechanisms for creating a diverse and highly qualified workforce. This workforce is ultimately responsible for executing the government business and enhancing institutional capacity and development skills in matters related to policy, leadership, management, financing, and socio-economic development.
Moreover, the Civil Service Institute researches institutional capacity development, policy formulation and implementation, leadership and management, good governance, and socio-economic development. It also offers certificates and diplomas following the courses provided. The modalities through which they are offered shall be related to the current need. In addition, CSI provides advisory services in collaboration with the public sector, private sector, and civil society aimed at good governance and socio-economic development. It also equips the Somaliland workforce with the appropriate values, work-related skills, and induction of existing programs in the public sector, private sector, and civil society. Its hands also stretch to national, regional, and international institutions with similar activities and mandates to forge working relations and global partnerships.